This policy applies to you if:
- you are a visitor to our website; or
- you have participated in our surveys or conferences, requested information on or ordered our products or services. For clarity, our products and services include, among others, our Fact-a-Day service, product trials, reports and infographics; or
- you have agreed to meet a representative of Eighty20 for the purposes of requesting information on, or ordering our products or services.
Personal information includes:
- certain information that we collect automatically when you visit our website;
- certain information collected on registration (see below); and
- optional information that you provide to us voluntarily or during communications with you regarding our products or services or HR recruitment (see below);
- information that has been made anonymous so that it does not identify a specific person;
- permanently de-identified information that does not relate or cannot be traced back to you specifically;
- non-personal statistical information collected and compiled by us; and
- information that you have provided voluntarily in an open, public environment or forum including any blog, chat room, community, classifieds, or discussion board (because the information has been disclosed in a public forum, it is no longer confidential and does not constitute personal information subject to protection under this policy).
Common examples of the types of personal information which we may collect and process include your:
- identifying information – such as your name, date of birth, or identification number of any kind;
- contact information – such as your phone number or email address;
- employer information – employer and role within organisation;
- address information – such as your physical or postal address; or
Sensitive personal information
In some cases, including our recruitment process or as part of a survey, we may also collect sensitive personal information including your:
- financial information – such as your bank account details;
- sensitive demographic information – such as your race or ethnicity;
- medical information – such as information about your physical or mental health;
- criminal information – such as information about your commission or alleged commission of any offence or about any related legal proceedings;
- employment information – including your membership of a trade union; and
- beliefs – including your political or religious beliefs.
You must accept all the terms of this policy when you participate in our surveys or conferences, receive communications from us, request information on or order our products or services. If you do not agree with anything in this policy, then you may not participate in our surveys or conferences, request information on or order our products or services and you should unsubscribe from our communications to you.
By accepting this policy, you are deemed to have read, understood, accepted, and agreed to be bound by all of its terms.
You may only send us your own personal information or the information of another data subject where you have their permission to do so.
We may change the terms of this policy at any time by updating this web page. We will notify you of any changes by placing a notice in a prominent place on the website. If you do not agree with the changes, then you must stop using either the website or participating in our surveys or conferences, or requesting information on or using our products or services, or receiving our communications. If you continue to use the website, participate in our surveys or conferences, request information on or use our products or services, or receive our communications without unsubscribing following notification of a change to the terms, the changed terms will apply to you and you will be deemed to have accepted those updated terms.
Once you register on our website to receive a report, receive communications from us, participate in a survey, attend a conference, or sign up for a product or service, you will no longer be anonymous to us. You will provide us with certain personal information when you do this.
This personal information may include:
- your name and surname;
- your email address;
- your telephone number;
- your company name, company registration number, and VAT number;
- your postal address or street address; and
- your username and password (we cannot access your password).
We will use this personal information to fulfil your account, provide additional services and information to you as we reasonably think appropriate, and for any other purposes set out in this policy.
On order or request
When we discuss our products or services with you, or you order our products or request our services from us, you may provide us with similar personal information to the above personal information outlined for registration, so will no longer be anonymous to us. We will use this personal information to communicate our products and services with you, provide additional services and information to you as we reasonably think appropriate, and for any other purposes set out in this policy. You may be asked to provide us with additional information on a voluntary basis (products or services information).
We may place small text files called ‘cookies’ on your device when you visit our website. These files would not contain personal information, but they would contain a personal identifier allowing us to associate your personal information with a certain device. These files would serve a number of useful purposes for you, including:
- tailoring our website’s functionality to you personally by letting us remember your preferences;
- improving how our website performs;
- allowing third parties to provide services to our website; and
- helping us deliver targeted advertising where appropriate in compliance with the applicable laws.
Third party cookies
Our website may contain electronic image requests (called a single-pixel gif or web beacon request) that allow us to count page views and to access cookies. Any electronic image viewed as part of a web page (including an ad banner) can act as a web beacon. Our web beacons do not collect, gather, monitor or share any of your personal information. We merely use them to compile anonymous information about our website.
You may also provide additional information to us on a voluntary basis (optional information). This includes content or products that you decide to upload or download from our website or when you apply for contract work or employment at Eighty20, enter competitions, take advantage of promotions, respond to surveys, order certain additional products or services, or otherwise use the optional features and functionality of our website.
We may monitor and record any telephone or video conference calls that you make to us, unless you specifically request us not to.
Purpose for collection
We may use or process any products or services information, or optional information that you provide to us for the purposes that you indicated when you agreed to provide it to us. Processing includes gathering your personal information, disclosing it, and combining it with other personal information. We generally collect and process your personal information for various purposes, including:
- products or services purposes – such as collecting orders or proposals or requests for and providing our products or services;
- marketing purposes – such as pursuing lawful related marketing activities;
- business purposes – such as internal audit, accounting, business planning, and joint ventures, disposals of business, or other proposed and actual transactions;
- hiring purposes – such the recruitment, selection, evaluation and appointment of new employees or contractors and the management and administration of the recruitment and human resources process; and
- legal purposes – such as handling claims, complying with regulations, or pursuing good governance.
We may use your usage information for the purposes described above and to:
- remember your information so that you will not have to re-enter it during your visit or the next time you access the website;
- monitor website usage metrics such as total number of visitors and pages accessed; and
- track your entries, submissions, and status in any promotions or other activities in connection with your usage of the website.
Consent to collection
We will obtain your consent to collect personal information:
- in accordance with applicable law;
- when you provide us with any registration information or optional information
We may use your personal information to fulfil our obligations to you.
Messages and updates
We may send administrative messages and email updates to you about the website. We may wish to provide you with information about new products or services in which we think you may be interested, including our Fact-a-Day service. This means that in some cases, we may also send you primarily promotional messages. If we have sent you promotional messages before and you have not unsubscribed, or if you have signed up for our products or services, or expressed interest in our products or services, we may continue to send you these messages. If we have not communicated with you before, we will not send you promotional messages unless you have chosen to opt-into them. But, we may send you one message asking you to opt-into promotional messages without you having opted-into promotional messages.
We may share your personal information with:
- our products or services providers under contract who help provide certain products or services or help with parts of our business operations, marketing, technology services (our contracts dictate that these products or services providers only use your information in connection with the products or services they supply or services they perform for us and not for their own benefit);
- other third parties who provide us with relevant services where appropriate.
We may disclose personal information if required:
- by a subpoena or court order;
- to comply with any law;
- to protect the safety of any individual or the general public; and
- to prevent violation of our customer relationship terms.
We may disclose aggregate statistics (information about the customer population in general terms) about the personal information to advertisers or business partners.
We may need to disclose personal information to our employees that require the personal information to do their jobs. These include our responsible management, human resources, accounting, audit, compliance, information technology, marketing or other personnel.
Change of ownership
If we undergo a change in ownership, or a merger with, acquisition by, or sale of assets to, another entity, we may assign our rights to the personal information we process to a successor, purchaser, or separate entity. We will disclose the transfer on the website. If you are concerned about your personal information migrating to a new owner, you may request us to delete your personal information.
We take the security of personal information very seriously and always do our best to comply with applicable data protection laws. Our hosting company will host our website in a secure server environment that uses a firewall and other advanced security measures to prevent interference or access from outside intruders. We authorize access to personal information only for those employees who require it to fulfil their job responsibilities. We implement disaster recover procedures where appropriate.
Accurate and up to date
We will try to keep the personal information we collect as accurate, complete and up to date as is necessary for the purposes defined in this policy. From time to time we may request you to update your personal information. You are able to review or update any personal information that we hold on you by emailing or phoning us. Please note that in order to better protect you and safeguard your personal information, we take steps to verify your identity before granting you access to your account or making any corrections to your personal information.
We will retain your personal information for as long as it is necessary to fulfil the purposes outlined in this policy.
Retention of your personal information may be extended if:
- retention of the record is required or authorised by law; or
- you have consented to the retention of the record.
During the period of retention, we will continue to abide by our non-disclosure obligations and will not share or sell your personal information.
We will retain your personal information for as long as is necessary.
Transfer to another country
We may transmit or transfer personal information outside of the country in which it was collected to a foreign country and process it in that country. Personal information may be stored on servers located outside the country in which it was collected in a foreign country whose laws protecting personal information may not be as stringent as the laws in the country in which it was collected. You consent to us processing your personal information in a foreign country which may have laws regarding processing of personal information that differ from the laws of the country in which it was collected.
Updating or removing
You may choose to correct or update certain personal information you have submitted to us, by updating that information on our website (such and passwords) or contacting us by phone or email.
We are not responsible for, give no warranties, nor make any representations in respect of the privacy policies or practices of linked or any third party websites.
Parking level E1,
31 Pickwick Road,
Cape Town, South Africa
Telephone: 021 461 8020